Sunday 11 November 2018

Remembrance

Good morning from a very wet Oxfordshire.  Today I should be posting my card for the Christmas Card Club but I have been so busy with our Festival of Remembrance that I haven't had time yet but I promise that I will do it soon Rita.




Since it is Remembrance Sunday I decided to post this instead and hope you find it of interest. Our Craft and Laugh Group at WI took it upon ourselves to decorate the church for this momentous occasion.  Since there are only about 13 of us we did a great job and made approximately 3,000 poppies.

I  made a plaque for each of the 23 men from the village who did not return from the Great War. If you are wondering why one of them has not got a rifle it is because we discovered that he was in the NCC - Non Combatant Corps.  He was a conscientious objector who was willing to serve his country but not prepared to kill and the NCC was established for these men who otherwise would have spent the war in prison. I also created nine posters of World War 1 poems using Sheena Douglass's Precious Poppies matching stamps and dies. They were coloured with Promarkers.

We hosted a coffee/tea/cake session for six hours yesterday and at times the church was so crowded you could barely move. It was supposed to be four hours but the visitors just kept coming. All proceeds will go the Royal British legion. I think we can safely say it was a success.  People have also been visiting the display all week and it will be open for another week so we are expecting more visitors.

I have many photographs on my Facebook page if you are interested to see what we produced.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend and keep dry and warm.

I will be back in a day or two with my CCC card.

Take care.



2 comments:

lydia jordan said...

Morning Christine,
Sounds like you had a busy few weeks and a very emotional day yesterday.
Lydia
X

Jackie T said...

Oh Christine what an amazing project and so much work for you all. I am pleased it was a great success. We had a great Remembrance service at our church today and it was packed. Have a great weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie