Sunday 20 February 2022

Christmas Card Club - Penguins

 Good morning.  It's time for challenge #4 for our little Christmas Card Club and ValeryAnn has chosen the theme of Penguins.

My Card


A very simple card using an old Pink Gem image. I mounted the image onto some toning blue card and added it to a 6" square base card. The Sue Wilson sentiment die was cut from a piece of scrap card from my box and I have to say it was a perfect match.

I hope you didn't suffer too badly during Storm Eunice. I had to go to the funeral of my friend's husband otherwise I would never have ventured out. The winds had died down a little by lunchtime so the 12 mile drive was little hairy but nothing compared to my journey home which was a nightmare. We could hear and see the winds getting worse during the service and the lights started flickering so I wasn't looking forward to my home run. I came round the first of a double bend and luckily and managed to stop in time  and not plough into the tree which had come down and was blocking the road.  I was able to get round it, with some difficulty, by driving up the bank at the other side. And that was just the start! Three more trees down plus countless huge branches.

I made it home and then was unable to get up the lane to our house - two trees had come down and blocked the lane totally. I left the car at the bottom and walked up to the house- and just past the house, luckily, two enormous trees had come down. John came out with his chain saw and spent the next couple of hours clearing the lane so I could get my car home. Friday morning he went out and cleared the other trees enough for people to walk past ( from our house upwards it is a bridleway only so no cars allowed ) but John wanted to clear it enough to allow walkers, mountain bikers and horse riders to get through.  It was a lot of hard work - but as my beloved late sister would have said "There's always a bonus!" In a couple of years when the wood has seasoned we will have masses of wood for our two log burners.

Today will definitely be a day of rest for John!

Hope your all safe and well.

Take care.



13 comments:

Rita said...

Morning Christine. What a love Penguin card. So sorry to hear you had quite a scary time of it going to a funeral. However, you made it home safely. And John was a Trooper clearing up with the chainsaw. Stay Safe. Hugs Rita xxxx

rachel said...

Morning Christine - beautiful card - your penguins are very cute. My goodness, Eunice wasn't very kind to you was she? Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Glad you managed to get home safe though. I only really had my recycling to collect and my greenhouse door to rebuild and reattach. I am hoping that Franklin doesn't wreak as much havoc as Eunice!
Have a great day!

gwen70 said...

Beautiful card, love the penguins. Sounds as if you had an horrendous day, glad you got home safe and sound xx

dutchess said...

Love the penguin images ..I always loved pink gem stuff…..
Wow what a horrendous drive for you…thank goodness. You are safe and the upside plenty of logs!…..take care xxx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A lovely cute penguin card Christine.
Hearing your story of the weather conditions and effect makes me feel very thankful and lucky, we have been very fortunate. I hope this is the end of it for you and better weather is ahead.
Lorraine

Stamps and Paper said...

Adorable Christmas card Christine...what an awful journey home you had but at least you were safe....we've lost ridge tiles luckily not from the top of our roof but kitchen roof...

Anne

Mrs A. said...

Love your penguin card. I have one of their images with mice on. Your day out on Friday sounds horrendous.Thank goodness you had john with his handy chain saw. Luckily we didn't have any trees come down. I have done something to my back though whilst trying to keep the fence panels up whist The Doc lashed the broken concrete post to the wrought iron garden table that we managed to wedge behind it to stop the whole fence coming down into the garden. Even then the wind was lifting the table up into the air. We put two heavy flower pots onto the table in the end to help keep it all in place. Hugs Mrs A.

cuilliesocks said...

Oh my Christine, what a nightmare of a drive for you, and so fortunate you got home with out any injury, well done John with his trusty chainsaw too. We here in Inverness have had nothing like the weather down south.
Your card is adorable, I love the topper, and your fabulous design.
Keep safe, Kate x

Gibmiss said...

Hi Christine
Sorry to here about your awful drive home from your sisters funeral …how scary …
Fabulous cute card …. Really sweet image …
Hugs Sylvie xx
Stay safe ….

Jackie T said...

Hi Christine this is a stunning card. You have had quite a time of it with the storm. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Jenny L said...

Hi Christine,
oh indeed scary time for you and a lot of work for John.
He definitely deserves a rest after all that.
Love your penguin card and you can always trust a Punk Gem one to come up with a cute animal that's for sure.
This is such a fabulous design also.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Zoe Tant said...

Sweet trio and lovely die cut sentiment. Great card Christine. Zx

Wendy L said...

Gorgeous card Christine, glad you are safe, xx